Ahhh…..I am imagining Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I think of oranges when you say “Vitamin C”. When I think of orange’s, I naturally think of Florida! We spent many vacations down there, visiting my Grandma. Such wonderful memories, makes my heart warm and smile wide!
Sorry for the detour, let’s talk about this power house vitamin!
Here are a few of the benefits of this beauty:
- It is the foundation of collagen.
- Assists with oxygen transport.
- POWERFUL Antioxidant.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Helps heal wounds.
- Treatment of lead toxicity.
- Prevention and treatment of scurvy.
- Helps the skin retain its elasticity.
- Helps in the fight against cancer (see below)
- Powerful “compimentary”treatment as it can help improve side effects of traditional cancer treatments.
- Synthesisis Carnitine which helps convert fat to energy.
- Helps hemoglobin absorb iron. Hemoglobin transports oxygen through the body.
An alternative and/or complimentary cancer treatments is “high dose” vitamin c. This practice has been studied since the 1970’s and is probably still just as controversial! What happens to the vitamin C in these treatments? It breaks down into Hydrogen Peroxide inside the body! Researchers say that tumor cells with lower levels of catalase enzyme have a harder time expelling hydrogen peroxide, this leaves them open to damage and death!
Another study says that our cells use only a small amount of antioxidants. The rest are “rejected”. The expelled material can accumulate in malignant tissue and cause their breakdown and death. (Summarized from an article referencing Dr. K.N. Prasad).
A study from 50 years ago suggests that “cancer is a disease of changes in the connective tissue caused by a lack of vitamin C”. High dose vitamin C infusions were thought to build up a resistance to, and possibly a treatment for, cancer.
In this “bloggers” opinion…that is PLENTY of reason to include vitamin C! I have tons in my smoothies everyday. I also take 500 mg. in the a.m. and again in the p.m. at the reccomendation of my naturalpathic oncologist. Please make sure to take at LEAST the r.d.a. of 90 mg for men and 75 mg. for women. I think they are counting on you grazing in your yard, rooting in all the berry patches in the area or buying out your favorite produce section everyday…if that is all they are recommending….but, you be the judge!