Medicinal mushrooms have been a staple in Chinese Medicine for thousands of years. Again, I find it fascinating that there are so many healthy benefits in the things that are hidden in plain sight! Remember when I said that my goal was to wake up those fighters in the blood? Well, the alarm clock might just well be in the form of fungus! According to an article by Tero Isokauppila, 9/1/17, “mushrooms will balance and restore your immune system, increase oxygen flow to your cells, amp up your mental and creative activity, regulate your blood sugar, lower your stress levels, ensure restful sleep, and cure a myriad of physical and mental ailments”…YIKES…that is a huge statement! I can’t promise that will happen for everyone, but I know they are working for me. Full disclosure: mental and creative part hasn’t kicked in yet…I might have to graze the shrooms in the yard this spring! Just kidding! If you believed that I would do that, I also have property, which I don’t own, that I can sell you! P.M. me if interested! 🙂
My first experience with medicinal mushrooms was after another very rocky winter season where I went thru cold after cold, followed by upper respitory infections that would last until the heat and humidity started. It was at that time that my oldest son told me to stop spending money on the OTC stuff and look into some medicinal mushrooms, in particular reishi. I found, and have been taking, made by “New Chapter”. I have mentioned in several blogs how much better my respitory system has been….I firmly believe it has something to do with this mushroom!
I have since studied and incorporated many other mushrooms and have also added some amazing roots! Here is the run down of the “shrooms” that I consume (poet and I didn’t know it) and the reasons why! I am including links to all of my favs. These links are thru Amazon, which I am an avid fan/consumer! I’m a fan of several fungi, so I will spread them over a few blogs. WAYYYY too much for one post!!
Reishi Mushroom: This mushroom is considered an adaptogenic herb, it helps the body deal with the negative effects of stress.
Here are a few other admirable qualities:
- Better Sleep
- Less Stress. Induces feelings of calm and peace.
- Reduce or eleminate seasonal allergies. UMMMMM….YES!!!! This has worked for me!
- Reduces dermal oxidation, i.e., helps keep you younger looking, longer! Hmmmm, I wonder if I could buy enough to bathe in…..
- Balances hormones.
- Reduces side effects of chemo and radiation.
- Contains (2) unique beta-glucans, PSK and PSP which enable the white blood cells to regenerate (ward off infection) and stimulate T-cells, macrophages and natural killer cells enabling the immune system to ward off and destroy pathogens. I read an article that sited PSK as being the #1 cancer drug in Japan!
- Boosts immune system.
- Aids Digestion
- Aids in healing infections.
Here is a link to my absolute FAVORITE mushroom complex.
In the next article, Cordyceps, AHCC and Cell Stop…all are, or have attributes of mushrooms!